Some of you have discovered that weddings and anniversaries aren’t the only occasions to celebrate with wine.
The kids are back in school! Whether your child is just starting school or you’ve finally gotten them back on a structured routine in one school, wine is a wonderful way to celebrate the moment.
Personally, we’ve enjoyed a glass of wine as we wrapped up a hard day; got through a Board Meeting with no problems; got through a Board Meeting that was full of problems; finished a long overdue project; one of the kids got engaged; just because it was a beautiful day!
What about you? Send us an email or comment on our facebook.
Speaking of Facebook, we have reached 600! Charlie Howe IV, come on down! By our calculations, you were our 600th like and we have a $20 gift certificate with your name on it. I hope to post an announcement on the shop’s facebook page this evening.
Kay is always trying to find tidbits of wine information to include in the email and she stumbled upon a chart of different types wines that pair well with certain foods. She thought she would share it with you over the next couple of months.
If you are looking for a ~ Crisp, light-bodied red wine to go with light meat dishes, sausage, hamburgers, pasta, pizza, or casseroles
Try this: Bardolino or Valpolicella; Beaujolais; Inexpensive U.S. Pinot Noir; Inexpensive Chianti or Loire Valley reds (Chinon, Bourgueil)
We have had some inquiries about festivals or winery packages on the shuttle. Below are some festivals coming up in September. If one strikes your fancy, give us a call.
· September 6 ~ Bottoms Up Beer & Wine Festival @ Tazewell
· September 6 – 7 ~ Neptune’s Fall Wine Festival @ Virginia Beach
· September 13 – 14 ~ 39th Virginia Wine Festival @ Great Meadows
· September 20 ~ Constitution Day Taste of Freedom Festival @ Montpelier in Orange County
Friday, August 22nd Beer Tasting
5:00 – 7:00 pm ~ Wayne will be in the shop tasting an assortment of beers. Replenished beers include: Smutty Nose IPA and Kronenbourg 1664 Blanc. We hope to replenish the Starr Hill beers on Friday.
Saturday, August 23rd Wine Tasting
4:00 – 7:00 p.m. ~ Brice Harrington from Delfosse Winery will be in the shop tasting their Sauvignon Blanc, Deer Rock White, Deer Rock Red, Cuvee Laraunt (Chambourcin), Malbec and White Port. We’ve been told that Grapes of Taste will be the first wine shop to offer the highly potent port for sale.
Next Saturday, August 30, Charlie Burrows with Ingleside Winery will be doing the tasting.
We are looking into getting Horton Vineyard’s Freedom wine in the shop. The distributor currently does not carry it, but is checking to see if they can. We are also looking at the Entwine wines so stay tuned.
Wine and Beer Clubs ~ Each week we add a new member to one of these clubs. They are:
· Discovery Wine Club (2 bottles – usually a red and white - $29.99/month)
· Enthusiast Wine Club (3 bottles – red, white and rose - $39.99/month)
· Vintage Wine Club (2 bottles – reds worthy of cellaring - $59.99/month)
· Beer club (4 craft beers for $19.99 month)
· Also includes: a newsletter with tasting notes, food pairings and information about the winery and winemaker as well as recipes, 10% discount on all purchases in the shop; free passes to Shop’s Mini Wine Festival ($10 per person savings); chance to win tickets to wine festivals or events at wineries. We try to keep the brochure in supply at the front counter.
Upcoming Community Events
- Saturday, October 11 ~ 2nd Annual Fall Festival at The Carmel School, 11 – 4. Vendor applications available in the shop.
- Saturday, October 18 ~ 25th Annual Bowling Green Harvest Festival, 10 – 5. Vendor applications available in the shop.
If you have a community event you would like us to advertise shoot me an email and we will be glad to add you to the schedule!
Kay and Wayne
If you have an event you would like us to help promote, please shoot me an email and
we will add you to the list of events.