We had a busy weekend last weekend! It was good to see lots of new customers as well as some regulars that haven’t been by for awhile.
We don’t usually have left over wines, but if you do, preservation is key.
As wine comes into contact with air, it quickly spoils. To slow down the deterioration process, quick vacuum pumps can be used to suck out the excess air.
The less air in the bottle, the longer the wine’s lifespan. Or you can use the other end of the cork you just removed.
If you know you won’t be finishing it in one night, it is best to cork the bottle between glasses. Of course, if you have a screw-top bottle, they are the best wine preservers.
If you are Looking For
Last week we paired full-bodied, intense red wines. This week we are switching to white wines and, if you are looking for a crisp, lighter-bodied, dry, unoaked white wine to go with fish, shellfish, game birds, pork, veal, Thai dishes, or Chinese food try: Soave, Pinot Grigio, Frascati, or other Italian white wines, Muscadet, Sancerre, Dry German Riesling or Chablis.
Friday, September 19th Beer Tasting ~ 5:00 – 7:00 pm
Wayne will be in the shop tasting an assortment of beers as well as a couple wines for those that prefer wines.
Saturday, September 20th Wine Tasting ~ 4:00 – 7:00 p.m.
Wayne was invited to go on a bird hunt so one of our customers will be helping Kay in the shop. She’ll be tasting some of her favorites:
· Butterfly Kiss Pinot Grigio
· Kilda Chardonnay
· Conde Villar Vinho Verde Rose
· Borsao Garnacha
· We will be having a contest between two red malvasias (moscatos) – Little Bosco and Sangue Di Giuda – so come taste them and cast your vote!
Upcoming Wine Tastings ~ Don’t forget that October is Virginia Wine Month and we plan to have reps from different Virginia wineries in the shop.
· Saturday, September 27 ~ Brian Fairtile with Siema Wines
· Friday, October 3 (Ladies’ Night) ~ Gadino Cellars and Breaux Vineyard
· Saturday, October 4 ~ James River Cellars
· Saturday, October 11 ~ Ingleside Winery
Upcoming Community Events
- Saturday, September 20 ~ Caroline Chamber’s Crab Feast at Caroline Agricultural Fairgrounds, 4 pm-9 pm. $35 per person. All you can pick crabs and beer. Live music by Runnin’ Hot, Cornhole. Buy tickets online:www.carolinecountychamber.com or from Board member or at Pitts and Manns Realty, State Farm (Ladysmith)
- Thursday, October 2 ~ 15th Annual Taste of Fredericksburg to benefit Rappahannock Big Brothers Big Sisters 6pm-9pm at Fredericksburg Hospitality House. More information available at: www.rbbbs.org.
- October 10 ~ 4th Annual Young Life Caroline Golf Outing at Pendleton Golf Course. Registration is at 7:30 a.m. and Tee Off at 8:30 a.m.
- Saturday, October 11 ~ 2nd Annual Fall Festival at The Carmel School, 11 – 4. Vendor applications available in the shop.
- Saturday, October 18 ~ 25th Annual Bowling Green Harvest Festival, 10 – 5. Vendor applications available in the shop.
- Friday, Saturday, October 24 and 25 ~ Creepy Crawly Halloween Activities at Caroline Family YMCA
- Saturday, October 25 ~ Frog Level Parade
- Saturday, November 8 ~ St. Asaph’s 9th Annual Fall Pork Roast, 4:30 – 7:00 in Bowling Green
If you have a community event you would like us to advertise shoot us an email and we will be glad to add you to the schedule!
Kay and Wayne
If you have an event you would like us to help promote, please shoot me an email and
we will add you to the list of events.